Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Visiting Kurt Cobains house in Seattle

When I lived in Seattle in 2007, one of the things I always wanted to do was visit the home of Nirvana frontman, Kurt Cobain. I never managed to do it and it was something that has always remained on my bucket list. Earlier this year I got an opportunity to return to Seattle to perform; I knew the time had finally come to scratch this item off the list!
Kurt Cobain and his family
Kurt, Courtney & Frances-Bean Cobain
Kurt Cobain's last home is in Lake Washington Boulevard in Seattle. A pretty posh area, that also houses the likes of Bill Gates and other I.T. biggies. The beautiful home has now been sold to another Seattle family that has built really high gates to ward off prying eyes (understandably so as the house always has swarms of Nirvana fans coming to pay homage).
My sister and me took the bus from Downtown Seattle to Lake Washington boulevard to pay our respects. There is a little park next to his house, Viretta park with a bench dedicated to Kurt. Words from his songs and messages scrawled in lipstick & coloured pens ran all over the bench . Flowers, now withered, left behind by a heartbroken fan stared at me poetically.
I parked myself on the bench for a while..imagining him sitting there writing songs that would go on to be remembered long after he was gone. I felt a mix of inspiration, sadness and gratefulness wash over me. It's sad how he died..too young..The pressures of fame and your inner demons can make you do crazy things you're no longer alive to regret.
I wondered as I sat there..if someday maybe my songs would be remembered by people I didn't know. If I could write songs that could move people..that would become legendary..the way Nirvana and their music was..Just imagining that , sitting there felt good.


We shot a little video (below) to give you a little tour of his house and the park next door. Hope you enjoy it. Ending with words that are now synonymous with his name..
                                           
                 "It's better to burn out than to fade away"- Kurt Cobain

                                         R.I.P Kurt. Thank you for the music.





1 comment:

  1. To keep people from running off with your laptop in a public place, when you have to step away from it for a minute or two, use a laptop cable. Working similarly to a bike lock, it attaches your laptop to a heavy piece of furniture, making a quick getaway more difficult.
    play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete